5 Kitchen Tested Recipes for Labor Day Weekend

Oh boy, Labor Day Weekend is so close. Nothing like celebrating our hard work with a holiday. Over the years Labor Day more than a holi-day, now it is the last 3-day weekend of the summer. And what happens in late summer beside playing outside? It is also time for fall harvest.

That's what makes my Labor Day recipes a little different from most. In my kitchen the focus is always on what's in season and what's on sale. I like it fresh and affordable, don't you? The following recipes are from my personal collection.

So if you are planning a big party, these recipes won't dazzle the eyes like those beautiful red white and blue flag cakes but they do taste terrific. Best of all, these recipes focus on what's in season in late August and early September.

What fruits and vegetables are those you ask? Well, here's the list:

Vegetables: Tomatoes, Summer Squash, Peppers, Cucumber, Eggplant, Corn, Okra, Rhubarb and Basil
Fruit: Stone-fruits (like peaches), Berries, Melons, Figs, Pears and Apples

Here are my top 5 Late Summer favorites:

Photo coutesy of tasteofhome.com


This Creamy Cucumber Dill Salad is one of my favorites of summer. You will love the creamy coolness it brings to the summer table. This recipe is so easy and versatile, almost no fail. Be sure to dry your cucumbers out after slicing or it will get too soupy. My basic go to recipe is at Taste of Home. It needs to mingle and chill so make it early in the day for the best flavor.
I like to peel the cucumbers first and fresh dill is much better than dried but it will work.




Photo courtesy of me

Meatless Spaghetti Pie

I just made this one a couple of days ago and it didn't last long. I had to sub the cheese, didn't have any mushrooms and I  used a jar of sauce and it was still so darn yummy. My favorite recipes are the one I can modify as needed. I got lucky when I found this one at Cooks.com



Photo courtesy of Taste of Home

Summer Squash Cassarole

Yellow or summer squash shows up regularly at our table. It is very affordable at the right time of year and we must eat our veggies, right? I found this recipe last year and it is a total keeper. Even if you are not a fan of the squash you might like this from Taste of Home. With cheese, onion, egg and breadcrumbs how can you go wrong.





Photo courtesy of me

Fresh Pear Cake

Last year a friend gave us several pounds of fresh pears. I had no idea what to do with them until I found this recipe for cake. Making a cake from scratch takes time but I had never tasted anything quite like this one. I loved it so much I blogged all over it here.



Photo courtesy of Feood Network
Warm Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake

Blueberries are very affordable this year but I didn't love them until Tyler Florence shared this recipe. I don't make the big beautiful cheesecake that he does. I use an old recipe for a "quick cheesecake" that is kind of small and fits perfectly in a pre-made graham cracker pie crust. Anyway, this desert is all about the Warm Lemon Blueberry Sauce! Wait until you are ready to serve the cake to create this magical warm topping. Works great over ice cream too!

Let me know if you give any of these a try or have some recipes we can share.

Until next time,

Happy Labor Day!

No comments

Annual YMCA Holiday Boutique and Pantry Dec 1-2, 2018 Redlands, CA

Save some of holiday shopping money for this one! For 39 years the Annual YMCA Holiday Boutique and Pantry is a curated market of hand...

HandmadeCatalog.com 2002-2013. Powered by Blogger.