Let Them Eat Pear Cake


When pears come into season, the rush is on. I love fresh pears and sometimes end up with way more than I know what to do with. Their darkening skins, like bananas, call to me as I cannot stand to throw out any food.

While searching for something new to do with these ripe pears I discovered Pear Cake. I had no idea that this cake was so popular. So it was time to try it for myself.

I bake for just 2 people, me and my hubby Jim. Sometimes I will bake a normal or large batch of something that freezes well but I know fresh fruit doesn't really like the freezer, so I needed a size we could finish up in a few days. So I created this recipe.

I used a small loaf pan but you can use any size pan you wish as long as you watch the bake time. Mine finished in 55 minutes at 325 and was perfect. I waited a couple hours to glaze with a lemon/powdered sugar glaze and wow, yummy and yet not too heavy.

Fresh Pears and Raisins come together in this light, sweet cake and the lemon icing adds just the right amount of tartness!
Fresh Pears and Raisin Cake Recipe by Pam Wylie

Ingredients:

2 cups chopped fresh pears (I leave the peels on)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
pinch of ground ginger
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup oil or butter (softened)
1/2 cup raisins or pecans

Instructions:

Combine the pears and the sugar, toss till well coated and let set 45 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and center the rack.

Mix the flour, salt, baking soda and spices until well blended.

In a separate bowl, combine the eggs with the oil, raisins and pear mixture.

Combine the wet mixture with the dry mixture, stir still well blended.

Pour mixture into greased loaf pan and bake for 50 - 70 minutes. Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 full minutes before turning out. Then cool completely before glazing with Lemon Icing.

No comments

Annual YMCA Holiday Boutique and Pantry Dec 1-2, 2018 Redlands, CA

Save some of holiday shopping money for this one! For 39 years the Annual YMCA Holiday Boutique and Pantry is a curated market of hand...

HandmadeCatalog.com 2002-2013. Powered by Blogger.