Saturday, June 03, 2017

Overcoming Caregivers Syndrome

It's been a long time since my last post. I used to write almost everyday about crafts and marketing (my 2 favorite subjects) and I loved doing it. So what happened?

I became a full-time caregiver to my husband.

Many of you might be thinking "so what, how hard can that be?"

Many of you know all to well how difficult being a caregiver can be. For some it is a horrible few weeks or months, for others it goes on for years and sometimes decades. Sometimes longer that the caregiver lives :(

For me, this is my 21st year of being a caregiver husband and my 3rd year of doing it "full-time". Before that I was a caregiver for my mother who had Alzheimer's for over 10 years. Back then I had more of a support group, now it is  just little old me.

Straight up, this job messes with you mind. Your perspective is out of balance and your goofiness is the first to go.

I have learned to search for the goofball which was hiding in me (hint: you need to get out more) and as a result I can't wait to get back to my blog.

You see, the creative part of me was locked behind what I call the "In This Moment Only" mindset. You get used to being "on guard" all the time, there is nothing else in the world. For caregivers being in the moment is not that great of a place to hang out.

So for those out there giving care every second of every day, keep up the honorable work but try to get out and take in what the well folks are up to today. And listen to all kinds of music, there is good-brain things in the tunes.

It might help you find a little goofiness that is begging to get out.

Then go create something!



Post a Comment