90 Minute Pork & Beans Recipe

I have a rule when we are shopping, only buy the meats that are on sale. I feel I am creative enough to take advantage of all the different cuts of meat that the butcher can throw out there and these days, the list of meat cuts is ever-expanding. This week I opted for a tiny bone-in pork shoulder roast with a thick skin on it for $4.75. It had plenty of meat on it for 2 light meat eaters (also known as heart patients), so I roasted it in the over with some veggies and potatoes - and it was great.

After dinner I started wondering what to do with the leftover bone which still had about a half pound of good meat on it......hmmmm. What about a pot of bean? I often use a ham hock to flavor my beans, maybe this would work as well.

I found this awesome recipe at http://www.thepauperedchef.com for making a pot of beans that goes smack in the face of my 50-year old traditional cooking methods. I had to try it.

A little back story:  the first 13 years of my marriage, I cooked every meal and didn't think much about it. Then my husband retired and wanted to take over the cooking and grocery shopping so I could rest a little. Guess what?  I said YES and immediately began teaching him all my tricks and all of my, my mom's and my grandmother's recipes. In a few months, he was an awesome cook and I was a very full and relaxed wife.

Then came the food network and my husband's cooking skills starting to really take off. He became the master of our kitchen and I loved it, yum, yum!

Well, he's been at it for over a decade now and is getting a little tired of cooking - it's my turn again and I couldn't be happier.

Why tell this back story? Because when my hubby saw what I was about to do to the left over pork roast and the beans he started laughing his head off. "That will never work" he said, "You and your crazy Internet ideas! You're going to ruin our dinner!".

Well, here is the recipe and the results was a knock-your-socks-off success. So easy, I will never make beans the old way again.
When I put this together it looked a little funky and I wasn't sure we would be able to eat it but 75 minutes later, yummy!

90 Minute Beans:

Place 1 pound of beans (I used pinto but this method works for most types of beans) into a dutch oven or soup pot that can stand to be in the oven for a while.

Pour in enough water to cover the beans completely and pick out any floaters. Leave the lid off and bring them to a boil on the stove. Let them boil for 15 minutes stirring occasionally and remove them from the heat. Place in the oven and bake at 250 degrees F for 45 minutes. Stir and add water if dry, put lidded pot back into the oven for 30 minutes. Remove and serve. The beans come out fully cooked but still hold their shape. Their interiors are very creamy and flavor is mild yet makes you want more.

Pretty simple huh?

I added my left-over pork roast (warmed it in the microwave for a couple of minutes first) before I put the beans in the oven and added enough water to cover the pork. I cooked this for a total of 75 minutes and they were perfect. Added some fresh jiffy corn muffins and dinner was served.

Husband stands corrected and then says "these are the best beans ever, make sure you cook them like this from now on."

I dare you to try the 90-minute beans, you may be pleasantly surprised! Please share your results with us.

No comments

Annual YMCA Holiday Boutique and Pantry Dec 1-2, 2018 Redlands, CA

Save some of holiday shopping money for this one! For 39 years the Annual YMCA Holiday Boutique and Pantry is a curated market of hand...

HandmadeCatalog.com 2002-2013. Powered by Blogger.